Monday, November 22, 2010

The Danger of Science Denial

While I prepare something of my own for this site, here's a video to check out in the meantime.  It's from the 2010 TED conference (if you don't already know about TED, I highly recommend going to www.ted.com -- they have hundreds of fascinating talks from amazing people!).  This particular talk is by Michael Specter, a journalist at The New Yorker who specializes in science and technology.  The subject is science denialism and the danger it poses to our society and our world. 

I've shared this video before, but it's worth re-posting.  And it's not without controversy.  But
you don't have to agree with everything he has to say (I don't) to acknowledge the many important points he brings up.  To be clear: I'm all for caution and skepticism, but we have to base our positions on facts, not fear.  And we have to be willing to modify our opinions as new information becomes available.  It certainly doesn't help that there is real corruption and conflict of interest in science.  Unfortunately that affects the credibility of the 99.9% of scientists who are honest and trying to get the truth out to the public.  The impact of science on society and the ethical issues that arise are areas that I'm very interested in.  More on that in future posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment